Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Finding the blogging habit

Okay, so in May I decided to try blogging along with my ISWO colleagues. I had what I thought was a great idea: to read a book and blog about it as I read various chapters. I guess life got in the way because I stopped posting.

Then, I thought I would blog on the new, soon-to-be-launched MyRRU site - thinking it would be a way to discuss issues of common interest with the instructors and other colleagues that I work with. The launch is delayed so I'm going to use this blog at least through this ISWO session.

Two things are on my mind, lately: 1) We have a visually impaired student just beginning courses and I'm learning a lot about accessibility... and have a lot more to learn! and; 2) The CTET Instructional Designers had a discussion about how to help some instructors realize the potential of online environments instead of considering them second best.

The latter seems especially relevant to ISWO and as we progress through the four weeks I want to capture some of what you are contributing in a form that can be shared with others. The is an extraordinary group and I think your ideas may help others.

1 comment:

  1. Its sometimes valuabe to have a new learning challenge forced on us; it gets us out of habits, allows us to question assumptions, and finally to experiment with new ideas and technology. I regularly work on the water with clients that have barriers to access due to visual and developmental challenges. The work is hard, but I am continually held in a state of awe for the strength and dignity these people bring to their lives. Each experience is unique and provides me with challenges and insight into my own limitations. One client summed it up for me with the phrase "dignity of risk". The idea that each participant, regardless of ability, has the right to be challenged. This opened my eyes and forced me to consider how I imposed my own limits and my perception of the limits of others into my teaching. It reminded of the old adage, that the ultimate reward for a teacher is to be surpassed by their students.

    ReplyDelete